Buyer’s Guide to Eco-friendly Lighting
The right accessories can make a house a home.
And the right lighting is key to creating the perfect ambience.
Whether you want to transform a room with contemporary charm, make a real style statement or simply invoke a cosy atmosphere, lighting is an essential piece of homeware to light up your decor.
Here is an in-depth buyer’s guide so when the evenings go dark, your home will still be shining brightly.
What eco-friendly materials are available?
There are various viable materials that are used to make designer lighting pieces. Here at Out & Out Original, we have chosen to use bamboo (which is the most sustainable wood in the world) and stainless steel.
Here is a breakdown to the multitude of environmental and social benefits for each source:
Bamboo is an incredibly hardworking species. It grows at a tremendous speed and is used in the construction industry as a sustainable alternative, so you can get peace of mind it is super durable.
As aforementioned, it is the most sustainable wood species in the world which makes it superb for creating unique homeware accessories. Further benefits include:
- It is a natural anti-bacterial so it’s great for families with children
- Water-resistant which is ideal for splashbacks in the kitchen
- Cost-effective, so great on the purse strings
- Harvesting of bamboo is also sustainable
Stainless steel lighting
Did you know that stainless steel is 100% recyclable?
Stainless steel is fast emerging as an excellent recyclable material. It has a much longer lifespan than many other sources and its main elements, chromium, nickel and molybdenum, are all highly valuable and can be easily recovered from other materials. Moreover, it resists corrosion and rust so it will last longer.
Most stainless steel objects have around 60% recycled content but more importantly, they look fantastic which means you can get a high-end, stylish piece of lighting for your home that is also ecological!
How to maintain a bright light?
Both bamboo and stainless steel are really easy materials to clean. And you don’t need any fancy cleaning products to keep your light fixtures sparkling.
- Make sure you unplug your light fixture and allow the bulb to cool down before commencing.
- Bamboo lighting can be cleaned with lukewarm water, salt and a non-abrasive cloth.
- The best way to polish stainless steel is with water and a cloth but it’s important you towel dry to prevent water spots from occurring. You can use a mild detergent but if you’re really, struggling glass cleaner/polish can help to get rid of fingerprints and marks.
- If the stainless steel incurs some scratching or staining, you can minimise /cover these up with a stainless steel cleaner.
- If you have a pendant fixture, don’t forget to clean on top of it.
Whichever method you choose to clean your lighting accessory, it is important to take care of it properly to make sure it lasts longer.
Top Buying Tips
It’s important that you consider all your options and ask all the relevant questions to ensure you get the right lighting for your home. Here are some of the key questions you need to ask yourself as well as some top tips to bear in mind:
- What kind of bulb wattage will I need?
Did you know that energy saving light bulbs can save you up to £100 over its lifetime? A third of the money spent on lighting and heating our homes is wasted according to the Department of Environment but an energy saving light bulb can save us around £9 on each annual electricity bill.
- Is warranty included?
Many of our fittings come with 3 year constructional warranty, so make sure you find out before you buy for peace of mind.
- If you want a ceiling light, what is the ideal length dimension?
The last thing you want it for it to be too low so you’re hitting your head every time you walk past. As a general rule of thumb, the larger the pendant the higher it can be moved whereas the smaller the light, the lower it can be placed.
- Can I put any light fixture in the bathroom?
The answer to this is simply no. Bathroom lighting must conform to current regulations and specialist lighting is manufactured to withstand the moisture and water safely. Bathroom light fittings are given an Ingress Protection number or classification and this IP rating determines the degree of protection.
- Are there matching fittings available?
Get the co-ordinated set! If you can, complete the furnishings and with matching fixtures to truly light up your home to the best effect. Here at Out & Out Original for example, we offer co-ordinating desk, pendant and floor standing lamps.
So there you have a complete guide to purchasing a new light for your home. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to give us a call on 0344 417 1419 or Get in touch via our contact form and a member of the team will get back to you as soon as possible.